I realise it is now officially Spring according to the calendar, but I’m sure I’m not the only one still expecting another late flush of snow. With that in mind, I haven’t been able to do much in the way of proper gardening, but I recently completed another Winter job. I guess this cold weather has been helpful for me to catch up with jobs that need doing! This recent job involved relocating the external power supply that powers the pond pump and filter that I moved nearer to The Blackberry Garden for reasons that will hopefully become clearer to you soon. I realise I never blogged about installing this system previously as it seemed rather mundane, but hey maybe some of you are interested if you need to add power supply to your gardens? The system we chose to use is the Blagdon power supply which you can purchase from a number of suppliers online like Amazon here. I will add that I am not advertising this product and I have not been paid for this, but thought I would show you what we’re using.
This job was fairly straight forward in theory, but in practice it meant disconnecting and rewiring every socket again and running the inlet and outlet pipes for the pond water to and from the pump and filter system under the deck and around the pond. In practice, the rewiring of every socket is not a difficult job; if you can wire a plug, you will be able to manage this, but it can be time consuming doing it properly.
The filter had been sitting awkwardly on the deck for months (see photo below) until this point with the aim of starting off the filtering of the pond water. If you look on the bottom left hand corner of the photo below, you can see where the supply box used to be located, along with all the surplus cable I was saving until I moved it.
The photo below shows the new position of the power supply on our shed next to the deck of The Blackberry Garden. The supply box itself is water tight plastic, with rubber buttons on the front that you can press to turn each item on or off with ease. To connect to the mains, I had to run the cable around the edge of the pond and the deck and then through the utility room door frame to access the electricity supply inside the house. You could drill through your brick work if you feel so inclined… suffice to say, I did not! Inside our home, I use an electrical tripper to connect the plug to the indoor socket to test for any electrical faults every time it is used etc and to protect both the internal and external power supplies as it trips out if there is a fault. I simply turn the supply on and off as needed from inside; it’s really simple!
You can see from the photo above, the green pond filter box is now tucked inside the sofa frame. I had to lift numerous deck boards to thread wires to the junction box from various points and some boards had to be chopped to allow me to fit the filter box inside the seat of the sofa frame. It was a pain, but I’m glad it’s finally done. When we get round to renovating the sofa frame, we will add hinges onto the seat lid to allow easy access for future maintenance to the filter. You can see on the photo above the blue circled areas where the pipe goes in to the green filter and flows out near the pebbled area. We have since added additional rocks to hide the pond lining/wiring/pipework.
I also intend to build a cabinet to cover the supply box to protect it from the elements and any potential tampering. I also want to do this because I don’t want the box and the wires on show. There is also the issue of the gap in the brickwork above the supply unit and broken end bricks that I chiselled off from when we demolished the add-on wood store that used to be connected to the shed (see photo below from 2016) so a cabinet to hide both the defected brickwork and the electrical box would be duel purpose I think! That will be another job for another day…
Written by Bethany Wright